Aunty Shanny

Aunty Shanny

Monday, November 12, 2012

Stupid, fabulous idea


Deciding to teach was both the best decision, and the worst decision I have ever made.

Watching young brilliant minds open to new concepts makes my heart flutter and my eyes shine with pride.

Watching young minds fold under pressure and resist privileges few are given, makes my heart ache, and my eyes well with tears.

Choosing to teach was the most ambitious, yet most infertile volition of my entire 23 years of life.

I giggle at their creativity

But I scowl at their stupidity

I cheer for the leaps they make and the successful execution of their most cherished targets

I denounce their self-destructive attitudes and ignorance towards the opportunities standing barefaced and indisputable in front of them.

Hives

Headaches

Sleepless nights

Anxiety

Panic attacks

Cold after cold, flu after flu

Throw whatever you want at me

I will not give up on them

I will not quit on them like they quit on themselves

No matter how many “I don’t want to’s”

“I can’t’s”

“I won’ts”

I hear

Try me

I will not let them stop

I will not let them sell themselves oh so entirely short

I won’t take no for an answer

Agreeing to illustrate the art of composition and reading to the young, the impressionable, the deranged, was a matchless selection

Engaging in dragging them through the monotonous task of writing one word after the other and deciphering the dullest of dull was a dense selection

Has my point been made? My assertion understood?

I’ll regret this adventure for as long as I live, but I’ll delight in it more.

I’ll gloat about my kids’ achievements until my voice becomes hoarse

I’ll praise their abilities, encourage their curiosity, and spark their imaginations using whatever methods possible

I’ll use any amount of insanity, and go to any extent of ludicrousness

And I won’t stop until every sweet, yet obnoxious, young life I encounter, gets a chance to be staggeringly phenomenal.

The decision to teach was the dumbest, premeditated torture I have ever agreed to and the purest, unrivaled fruition I have ever felt.


No comments:

Post a Comment