I’ve been thinking lately. (I know, brace yourself right?)
About people who have told me to stop stressing over my job.
That it’s just a job. Just a means to make some “dough.”
Ahem, If you know what
teachers make, you know it’s not “dough.”
So, I’ve been thinking about those people who have told me
it is unrealistic to think I am going to change lives. That I am wearing myself
out for nothing.
I didn’t become a teacher to make “dough.”
I didn’t become a teacher to make it through each day by
daydreaming about what I’d do with all that “dough” (“all that” – haha).
I became a teacher, to make a difference.
Shannon, this isn’t like the movies.
You’re damn right it’s not like the movies.
The movies don’t show the shit that goes through our heads.
The anxiety, the frustration, the enlightenment, the anger,
the joy, the disappointment, the depression, the hopelessness, and seconds of
delight.
They show about 2 seconds of frustration and 2 hours of kids
eyes being miraculously opened and changed… Oh how I wish!
But,
I became a teacher to make kids think.
I became a teacher to make them try harder than they think
they need to.
I became a teacher to watch minds open to things they were
closed to before.
I became a teacher because teenagers are alive, and I feel
alive, and I love being around them. There is so much life in them; life hasn’t
been able to knock them down right on their faces enough. Although, sadly, for
some they’ve been knocked down much harder than that.
But for the most part, they are vibrant, and they make me
feel vibrant. They make me laugh. They surprise me.
They disappoint me
too. That part sucks.
I know, I won’t be able to make a mark on every student that
walks through my door, but you’re smoking meth if you think I’m not going to
try, and keep trying.
I know, most of my kids hate literature and hate writing,
and may never cherish those two things the way I do.
But I don’t just teach English, or psychology, I teach life.
Life according to Mrs. Wiser.
And maybe, just maybe, they’ll learn something from my
mistakes. Maybe they’ll take something away from my ramblings. If anything I
hope they take away the idea that not only can they do anything they want, they
can be whoever they want.
So to all of you out there, working 9-5, and making “dough.”
That’s great, and I suppose I could just make “dough” too, although it would be
a significantly small amount of “dough.”
But, I don’t want to just trudge through my days. I want to be 45 and have
light bursting from my eyes, excitement glowing from my smile, and a crazy
desire for knowledge still.
I know I can’t affect them all, I can’t impact each one of
their lives, I can’t change their attitudes, or make them love literature
(honestly, who really does besides English teachers and professors…).
I don’t care. Because if I just have ONE student that takes
something meaningful, eye-opening, or just plain hilarious away from being in
my class… I’ll be satisfied. And I will bust my ass learning everything I can
possibly learn to help them through this spontaneous, often unfair journey,
even if it is just that one student.
Okay, I’ll shut up now.
And to lighten the mood, I need this.

No comments:
Post a Comment